Saturday, May 29, 2010

21st Century Soul Soldier

Another glass of whiskey
With a hint of Cola to break the
Bold taste
You sit with that stripped golfer’s hat and
A black notebook, wearing a navy Polo shirt
Etching at the white pages with your
Hurt
Oh, don’t mind me, I’m just a voyeur
Observing your splendid brown eyes and pout lips
Muttering the words with every flick of your wrist
Your cigarette burns with the memories of the girl
Who you let capture and devour your Beautiful soul
Entering the lion’s cage
She must have lost you somewhere between a broken heart and worn out dream
That fickle blond vixen- destroyed a man with
A blunt tip dagger, slowly carving a hole
In the middle of his broad chest.
You look up for seven seconds in my direction-
Signal me for another drink
But you don’t see me- you don’t feel me
Undressing your layered soul –
You have big ambitions and bigger worries
But you have a business dinner at eight, or perhaps a date with fate-
I carry it over- your third or is it fourth order?
Place it in front of you, but you’re already
Re-immersed in your literature
Looks like a poem, or some unfinished lyrics
Are you a Neil Young or just a young Neil?
“The check please” you say but don’t flinch
“It’s on the house”
You peel your eyes away and look at me-
But this time you see me with reflected light in your eyes
The soft glow emanating a yearning for a magical unfolding
You gaze at me like you’ve met me in a dream- and suddenly I’m real
“Thank you, but there is no need”
You push your hands into the pockets of your Diesel jeans
You’re stubborn- in your words, in your actions
Such a resilient soul, soldier
You were raised to be righteous, to be honest and polite
To carry on your family name with honor and pride
You only turn your written and lyrical words into a minefield of emotions
But keep your composure, your alpha demeanor
That’s your right, and you are right to
March strong, with planned out strides and trail-less tracks
Chose a path that leads to closure- to fulfillment of a grandeur picture
“I insist, it’s the least I can give to a man sitting in this bar all alone”
You pick yourself up; take a final drag of the cigarette, you vowed to lay-off
Leaving your notebook behind
“Sir, your notebook…”
“It’s on the house- read it when your shift is over.”

No comments:

The Cee

My photo
Writing is a vehicle of expression, not impression.