Sunday, October 3, 2010

Dear Unborn

When all ears are too busy
When smiles are too sparse to share
When a touch is distant and cold
When a laugh is a faded echo
And bleak are those arms that are stretched out
That’s when you know you’re growing up

When trust is not given but earned
When promises are broken too often
When the tooth fairy’s allowance isn’t enough
When judgment trumps imagination
And gone are those soft kisses goodnight
That’s when you know you’re growing old

When faith is questioned
When pride is a killer
When love is equated to sex
When ghosts and demons come from trips and not story books
And numb are those feelings of warmth
That’s when you know you’re growing up

I’m sorry my unborn, that’s the way of the world
I’ll protect you as much as I can but at some point I have to let you go.

No comments:

The Cee

My photo
Writing is a vehicle of expression, not impression.